Saturday 12 June 2010

The fiddly world of straw braiding...!

I've been making my Ascot hat! Got my straw braiding at the ready and off I went.  So if you're interesting (and patient with a sewing machine!) here's how I did it.

First, just like rattan, you'll need to soak it in water for half an hour. This will soften the straw, so that it's not brittle as you begin to sculpt it.

Start to curl the straw braid as if you are beginning to make a coil - this part is best done by hand as it's fiddly on the machine. Once done you can get on the machine (see picture left).

You'll need to overlap the straw as you continue to curl it into a coil. I normally use something to shape my straw on, like a wooden bowl or hat block. Pin it into place and sew it together on the machine.

Just keep going until you get the size you want. This bit takes time, a steady hand and a fair bit of patience...it's worth it!














Eventually...a lot later...I had a hat. I'm still trimming it at the moment, but it's getting there. Hope you like it! It won't keep much rain off at the races, but at least I'll look the part as I'm quaffing bubbly! Mmm! Should be fun!


1 comment:

About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom

Followers

Search This Blog